Thursday, March 20, 2008

CramminItAllTogether

I was unsure if we were pushing forward a week, and it was spring break (pronounced "Bender"). Therefore I've read some of the technology readings, and the basic writing section as well. I'll be pumping out multiple posts, at speed, now. Bear with me if it seems frenzied (It is).

I got into Sommer's article on revision strategies because it paralleled amazingly well with the problem my friend Bob is going through in composing music with his band. His guitarist and drummer are what he calls "riff writers." Bob, on the other hand has been playing bass for 17 years, and composes entire arrangements with the aid of his computer and knowledge of musical theory. I mentioned how Sommer's case studies discovered that "They [inexperienced writers] perceive words as the unit of written discourse," to him and he said that I could substitute "riffs" for "words" and see the same problem in musical composing. (VV 46) A pretty, polished song with technical excellence and variety can still be ineffective. Much like an experienced writer, he transcribes the first run, then finds out where it's going and reinforces the living growth of the song. Detailed editing comes at the end.

1 comment:

Julie Kearney said...

Sorry Ray, I should have let you all know that we'll struggle through being a week behind. No need, therfore, to go too crazy with reading and the blogging.
Julie